Foundations of Syntactic Theory II
Filler-Gap Dependencies (Unbounded Dependency Constructions)
- Meetings: M,W: 3:15--4:45 in 260-301
- URL: http://lingo.stanford.edu/sag/L222B
- Readings: various, mostly available on-line
- Instructor: Ivan A. Sag
- Office Hours: by appointment in Bldg. 460, Room 103
- Contact: sag at stanford dot edu; 650-723-1578
This course is concerned with filler-gap dependencies (aka
long-distance dependences, unbounded dependencies,
and wh-movement) and their treatment in syntactic theories over
the past forty years or so. The readings will be a small sample of the
vast literature on this topic.
Constraints on fillers
Constraints on gap-containers
Generalizing constraints beyond filler-gap relations
Cross-language variation in filler-gap constructions
Are there silent pronouns (traces) in gap positions?
Does the region between filler and gap mediate (Swooping vs. Looping)?
Are fillers moved from gap positions?
Weak vs. strong islands
Semantic/pragmatic explanations for some constraints
Processing explanations for some constraints
For a syllabus and further links relevant to
class lecture and discussion, see below.
- Do the readings before class, come to class, and participate in discussion.
- 2 more things:
- A traditional squib-length paper, analyzing something having to do with filler-gap dependencies
and giving arguments for preferring a proposed analysis to alternatives from the
- Identification of an issue related to filler-gap dependencies that is in need of
experimental investigation, together with a detailed proposal for an experiment.
- There will be some shorter written assignments (probably four of them) during the
Syllabus (Dates are links)
| Jan 9
Introduction to LDDs
Ross on Island Constraints.
The A-over-A Principle.
| Jan 16
Martin Luther King Day: No Class
| Jan 18
The (Revised) Extended Standard
Cross-Language Variation 1: The Accessibility Hierarchy.
| Jan 25
Taking Stock. Explaining Island Constraints
LDDs in GB 1
LDDs in GB 2
Cross-Language Variation 2: Sensitivity to Extraction Domains
LDDs in GPSG
Presidents' Day: No Class
Evidence for Traces?
Evidence for Traces?
LDDs in Categorial Grammar
LDDs in HPSG
Last Updated: Jan 9 2012